In June, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) announced that beginning on October 1st, 2021, they will be changing their pharmacy providers for Mail-Order and Specialty Pharmacy for Group and Individual (Non-Medicare) insureds. Changes will affect a small portion of insureds. Only 3-4% of pharmaceutical scripts are filled via mail order and specialty accounts for only 1-1.5% of all scripts utilized.
Important highlights for the change include:
- Express Scripts Pharmacy® will be the Mail Order provider.
- Accredo® will be the Specialty Pharmacy provider.
- This change will NOT affect HMO plans.
Insureds with prescriptions that transition to the new provider will be sent a letter at least 30 days before October 1st, 2021. The following prescriptions will NOT transfer over, and the provider will notify the insured.
- A prescription with no active refills
- Controlled-substance prescription
Please reach out to us with any questions.