On July 30, 2021, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker signed legislation (HB 117) amending the Illinois Secure Choice Savings Program Act to:
● Apply to employers with at least five employees in Illinois during every quarter of the previous calendar year;
● Establish annual, automatic increases to contribution rates (based on a schedule) up to a maximum of 10 percent of an enrollee’s wages; and
● Verify employee eligibility for auto-enrollment, consistent with the Internal Revenue Code and applicable federal and state laws, and any enrollee under 18 will be rejected.
The enrollment deadline for employers with 24-16 employees is September 1, 2022 and September 1, 2023 for those with five to 15 employees. The law also allows employers to distribute mandatory notices to their employees by email. Employers that don’t enroll their employees in the program will
be penalized for each employee that isn’t enrolled.
The law is effective January 1, 2022. Read more about the program.
Artificial Intelligence Video Interviews
On July 9, 2021, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker signed the Artificial Intelligence Video Interview Act (HB53). Under the act, employers that solely rely on artificial intelligence (AI) analysis of an applicant’s
video interview – to decide whether they will be interviewed in-person – must collect the following data:
● The race and ethnicity of applicants who are and aren’t interviewed in-person after using the AI analysis; and
● The race and ethnicity of who is hired.
This data must be reported to the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity by December 31 of every year and must cover the 12 previous months, ending on November 30.
The law is effective January 1, 2022